Monday 8 July 2013

Retro-Nautical-Glitter Nails


Hola! So this isn't a step-by-step tutorial but just detailed description of a fun little mani I put together yesterday afternoon while watching Jesus Christ Superstar!

I didn't really plan out what I was going to do but just when for whatever and I'm pretty pleased with the results. I don't often do these mixed pattern design but it was quite the fun experimenting with different tools and techniques... I think I may do it more often ;)





What I Used:

Barry M Blackberry, Barry M Blueberry, Models Own Juicy Jules,
Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Celeb City & OPI Start to Finish base and top coat

Left Hand


  • Thumb and Pinky - I started with a silver base and then used striping tape to make 3 vertical lines up the nail and painted a dark blue on top. Let the top polish dry for 10-15 seconds before swiftly removing the tape. Afterwards I added a layer of fine silver glitter to my pinky.
  • Ring finger - I stared with a cornflower blue and then using three different sized dotting tools created three dots that got smaller towards the cuticle.
  • Middle and Index fingers - I started with either a dark blue or silver base and then added a layer of fine silver glitter over the top.


Right Hand


I pretty much repeated most of the patterns from my left hand just varied them up a bit and switched around the fingers 

  • Pinky - Your standard solid dark blue
  • Index and Ring fingers - Same as left thumb and pinky with silver base, 3 tape lines and dark blue over the top plus some sneaky glitter on my ring finger
  • Middle finger - Mirrors my left ring finger but wait... the dots now get larger towards the free edge! What? yeah true story
  • Thumb - A surprising delight, a silver base with a smothering of fine silver glitter


Here are some more photos... at different angles!




Make sure you finish with a splash of top coat for a glorious shine and it actually stops your designs smudging and will help your manicure last longer and make your glitter shine bright like a diamond





No comments:

Post a Comment