Friday 22 November 2013

The Heist


Macklemore & Ryan Lewis 
The Heist Album Cover inspired nails

Barry M Croc Effects




I love me a good rap and have been loving The Heist album for a while now and thought that I would take a stab at some nail art inspired by the reptilian album cover design





For this design I am using Barry M Croc Effects polish in black.

This polish works like shatter polish in that as it dries it contracts and fractures to forms this hectic organic pattern. While I've never been a real fan of shatter nail polish I am keen for this shiz and it does a pretty good job at creating the effect.


***Barry M Mentionables!!!***

So there are two things I need to make known about this polish:

  1. You apply it before the base colour is dry. Cray I know! The effect doesn't work on dry polish but if it is too wet it smudges. So the trick is to wait something like 66 seconds before applying a not-too-thin-but-not-too-thick layer of the croc effects polish
  2. I found that the effect works a lot better on top of another Barry M colour - sneaky manufacturing there I tell you!
I did a test drive of this polish using Barry M Foil Effects in Gold on 2 nails and OPI Moonraker on the other 3. The effect was way more satisfying and noticeable on the Barry M polish I used compared to the OPI colour as you can see in the below photo so I decided to use the gold on all my fingertips





LETS GET OUR CROC ON!!!

You will need:

Base coat - Essence studio nails 24/7 base
Barry M Foil Effects Gold
Barry M Croc Effects Black
Matte top coat - Essie Matte About You




Start with a base coat and then 1 coat of gold polish




Once dry apply your second coat of gold, wait a min and then apply an opaque coat of the black croc effects - wait too long with the gold and it won't work as well, not long enough it will smear - it's a fine art of balance and patience
Be careful with this application: use a very light touch, light as a feather

Here is a bit of a photo story of how the polish develops:






Now give it time to develop, the full effect can take up to 7 minutes to fully appear. While you wait I recommend watching Harry Potter or living life on the edge and typing a blog with wet nails...
To speed up the process you can gently blow warm air onto the nails. Yeah it feels odd but it moves the process along nicely


I also though it would be totes cool to add a matte top coat to this design... so I did

It really is a pretty sweet effect, each nail will develop differently. Looking at them I am reminded of the lizard from Spiderman or the Kanima from Teen Wolf (if that is judgement I hear then... grrrrr) 





And of course they are a dead ringer for The Heist Album cover!


I am quite pleased with this :)


No comments:

Post a Comment